The Importance of a Regular Air Conditioner Service
Picture this. Your split system air conditioner service has been working its guts out all summer to keep you chill. Suddenly, though, that sweet cool air turns into toast warm air.
That’s not the go, is it? The problem might not be visible, but regular servicing can pick up on these changes and ensure that your air conditioning system is always operating at its peak performance.
Have you noticed any unusual noise or leak from your air conditioning unit? Or is there an unexpected spike in your running costs? Your AC unit might be crying out for an air conditioner service.
We’re not talking about a service from Bob, the guy next door who fancies himself a DIY dab hand. We mean a service from a fully qualified professional who knows the ins and outs of all major air conditioning brands.
Why You Need a Professional to Service Your Air Conditioning System
Who doesn’t love a good DIY project to save a few bucks and enjoy the feeling of personal accomplishment? Of course, when it comes to servicing air conditioners, it’s best not to take matters into your own hands.
Yes, there are some basic maintenance tasks you can do yourself, like cleaning the filters and wiping down the indoor and outdoor units. But even with a do-it-yourself spirit, some service tasks are best left to service professionals.
They have the training, knowledge and experience to address regular maintenance or any complications that may arise. And for some tasks, like working with refrigerant gases, only a licensed professional can handle them.
Here are some of the key reasons why you need a licensed air con technician for your annual service.
No one wants to be the person who adds an unnecessary casualty to an otherwise safe and functional household. Electrical systems, forceful fan motors, and hazardous chemicals are not as simple as hammering a nail into a wall. A professional technician is well-acquainted with the precautions that need to be taken while working on an air conditioner service, ensuring the safety of everyone involved—and your home.
Accurate Diagnosis and Repair
While your gut might be telling you something’s gone awry with your air conditioner unit, it takes a keen and experienced eye to locate the issue accurately. Professional technicians have the experience and equipment to diagnose and repair your air conditioning system efficiently, which could save you time and money.
If you go rogue and try fixing your air conditioner yourself, you might inadvertently void your warranty. It may put you in a sour spot if the system needs future repairs. Adhering to the rules of your manufacturer’s warranty by hiring a professional air conditioning service will keep your warranty intact and your worries at bay.
What’s Involved In A Detailed Air Con Service?
An expert air conditioning service is a more thorough process than simply checking a few wires and filters. Here’s a brief rundown of what a professional technician might carry out during a routine system service:
- Inspecting and cleaning filters: As mentioned earlier, dirty filters can lessen the efficiency of your air conditioning system. Cleaning or changing them as necessary ensures proper airflow and optimal functioning.
- Assessing and cleaning evaporator and condenser coils: These components are responsible for cooling the air — naturally, you’d want them to be in top condition. Over time, dirt and debris could accumulate on these coils, reducing their ability to cool the air efficiently, and leading to higher energy bills.
- Checking refrigerant levels: Low refrigerant levels can hinder your air conditioning unit’s ability to cool the air properly. A technician can check for leaks and refill the refrigerant if required.
- Inspecting electrical connections: Loose or faulty wiring can be a safety hazard and lead to performance issues. Technicians ensure that your air conditioner’s wiring is in top condition by tightening loose connections and testing the voltage to avoid early component failure.
- Cleaning and adjusting blower components: A well-functioning blower ensures that your AC unit distributes the cold air evenly, keeping your home’s temperature at a comfortable level. Regular maintenance ensures optimal airflow.
- Inspecting ductwork: Leaks in the ductwork can lead to energy loss. Sealants or insulation repair will ensure that the ducts maintain optimal efficiency.
Understanding and maintaining your air conditioning unit, be it split systems, evaporative cooling or a ducted air conditioning system, requires a level of knowledge that only a skilled technician can provide. These professionals are experienced in a wide range of air conditioning systems and can provide you with the best air conditioning service.
Benefits of Regular Servicing
A regular air conditioner service can significantly extend its life while keeping a good level of efficiency. Let’s explore some of the key benefits.
The Magic of Regular Maintenance
Regular maintenance isn’t just about making your air conditioner better — it’s a lifeline for your air conditioning system. By doing a routine maintenance service, you can spot signs of problems before they become expensive to repair or cause lasting damage to your existing system. Services include cleaning dirty filters, checking for leaks, and assessing the heating and cooling functions of your air conditioner.
Ensure Year-Round Comfort
Living in Australia, we have the pleasure of experiencing the broad range of climate conditions. However, we all know the heat can get a bit tedious sometimes. The beauty of heating and cooling systems, such as split system air conditioners, is their ability to cater to our comfort year-round. With regular servicing, you can ensure that your heating and cooling functions will provide you with cosy warmth in the winter and refreshing cool air in the summer!
Efficiency is Key
An air conditioner’s efficiency can affect your indoor air quality – and your pocket. A well-serviced air conditioner doesn’t have to work itself to the bone to keep you cool, which means it uses less energy and keeps your costs low in the long run. Plus, greater efficiency results in better cooling power, meaning you live comfortably without breaking a sweat or your bank!
Regular Monitoring of Cooling Systems
Whether it’s the popular split system air conditioning or the increasingly common ducted air conditioning, every system is nuanced and complex. A professional air conditioner service technician keenly examines and services all types of cooling systems to ensure optimum performance and longevity.
The cool air that you relish on sultry days doesn’t just magically appear. Your air conditioning unit takes in warm air, cools it down and then sends it back to you. In this process, filters trap dust and other air particles.
Over time, a dirty filter can hinder the airflow, causing the temperature to rise and possibly harming your AC unit. Regular servicing involves cleaning or replacing these dirty filters and other general maintenance-related tasks.
Quick Answers to Questions about Air Conditioning Services
Most of us aren’t entirely familiar with the nuts and bolts of our air conditioning systems. But that’s where trusted technicians become our saviours! Most of us are left in the dark with questions such as:
- How often should you service your air conditioner? Ideally, air conditioners should be serviced every 12 months to ensure they’re operating at their best.
- How do I know if my aircon needs regassing? If you notice a loss in the cooling ability, or your unit cannot reach the desired temperature, your aircon may need regassing. However, always confer with a professional in such instances.
Keeping your home at a comfortable temperature all year round goes beyond merely buying an air conditioner. Regular maintenance from professional technicians ensures that your air conditioning system stays efficient, cost-effective, and functional for years to come.
So, don’t let the heat get to you and wallow in discomfort. Bring in the professionals and let them look after your beloved air conditioner. With proper servicing, you can sit back and enjoy that wonderful cool air throughout the summer and warm air come winter — free of hassle, worry, and sweat!
Please note: This information is provided for advice purposes only. Regulations differ from state to state, so please consult your local authorities or an industry professional before proceeding with any work. See our Terms & Conditions here.