It Could Be Time for an Air Conditioner Service
Once you’ve got your heating and cooling system installed you can expect it to last for a long time – perhaps even 15 years or longer – as long as it is well maintained with an annual air conditioner service.
The main reason for getting your air conditioning system serviced regularly – aside from the longevity of your system – is to keep it running at optimum level. The last thing you want is for it to chew up your power while providing only minimum relief.
You may know that you need to clean and change your air conditioner filters regularly, but there’s a lot more than that to ensure it keeps running at its best. Let’s examine the reasons why a seasonal air conditioning service is important and what to expect when you schedule a visit from an AC specialist.
Why Do I Need an Air Conditioner Service?
The best tip for keeping your air conditioner running at its best for a long time is simple – annual maintenance. There are other handy tips, of course, such as:
- Adjust the thermostat – If it’s extremely hot outside, increase the temperature on the thermostat a few degrees so that the AC isn’t working too hard.
- Clean or replace filters – If your filters are dirty, it will put a strain on your AC system.
- Clean the coils – Read your user manual for instructions and make sure you turn off your system before doing this.
- Cover your windows – Keeping the warmth out (or in during winter) by closing blinds and curtains will help your AC work more efficiently.
The air conditioning system you have been using for the past few years might appear to be in peak condition, but appearances can be deceptive. Extensive use in a busy household can lead to problems that seem minor at first but will eventually put a serious strain on your air conditioning unit.
In the case of gas heating systems, it can even be leaking a colourless, odourless gas – carbon monoxide – which can lead to poor health and even be fatal in severe cases. If you’re using gas for heating, cooking and hot water, your system should be checked regularly.
What Causes AC System Problems?
There are many factors that cause wear and tear on your air conditioning system. Like many other appliances that you rely on, you can easily take your air conditioner for granted, and expect it to work at optimal level without giving much care or maintenance.
Here are some of the factors that will have an impact on how often you have your air conditioning system serviced:
- Age – The age of the system is important. An older system might need to be serviced every six months.
- Size of your household – How often is your system being used? Some people may rarely use their air conditioner, while other families will have the system running all day and night. In the latter case, more frequent maintenance is necessary.
- Make and model – Check what the manufacturer recommends in regard to maintenance. This will vary between different brands and models.
- Level of cooling – If you require an interior temperature that’s much lower than the outside temperature it will put a strain on your air conditioner. A system that is run at maximum capacity for extended periods of time will require more maintenance.
- Indoor environment – A dusty interior will lead to dust and dirt in the air, which will get into the system. A build-up of dust and debris will put more strain on an AC system. In this case the system will need frequent cleaning.
- Windows and doors – If you’re in the habit of leaving windows and/or doors open while using your air conditioner, this will put extra stress on the system (evaporative cooling is an exception to the rule – it is recommended to open windows and doors for extra ventilation).
What’s Included in an AC Service?
When you schedule a visit from an air conditioner technician for a service on your heating and cooling system, you should expect a thorough overhaul.
Every system is different, of course, and the tests will be determined by the type of system, the age of the system, how it’s powered and a number of other factors. Here’s a general list of what an air conditioning specialist will check:
- Refrigerant gas levels
- Internal parts
- Build-up of debris
- Electrical connections
- Carbon monoxide test (in gas-powered heaters)
- Thorough clean (or replacement) of filters, fans, coils and more
- Negative pressure test
- Chemical clean and flush
- Duct cleaning
The main aim is to catch minor faults before they become more serious. If you’re having specific problems with your heating and cooling system, make sure you inform the technician before the service.
What are the Benefits of an AC Service?
Air conditioner servicing can be a game-changer for your comfort and your wallet. Here are some of the top benefits you can enjoy when you invest in regular AC maintenance:
- Improved efficiency: Over time, your air conditioner’s components can get clogged with dust and debris, making it work harder to cool your home. A service includes cleaning and tuning up your AC, ensuring it runs efficiently and uses less energy. This means lower utility bills for you.
- Extended lifespan: Regular maintenance can help prolong the life of your air conditioner. By addressing issues early on, you can prevent major breakdowns and costly repairs down the road.
- Better air quality: A well-maintained AC can filter out more allergens and pollutants from the air, leading to cleaner and healthier indoor air quality. This is especially important if you or your family members have allergies or respiratory issues. A regular ducted air conditioning service is particularly important.
- Consistent cooling: An efficiently running AC can maintain a more consistent and comfortable temperature in your home. No more dealing with hot spots or uneven cooling.
- Reduced repairs: By catching and fixing small problems with air conditioning units during a service, you can avoid sudden breakdowns that often happen at the worst times, like during a heatwave.
In a nutshell, hiring a HVAC specialist for an air conditioner service is like giving your AC a spa day – it keeps it happy, healthy, and performing at its best. Plus, it saves you money in the long run and ensures you stay cool all summer long.
Save Money in the Long Run
While some people might want to avoid the cost of regular maintenance, spending the money will save you in the long run. By looking after your air conditioner, you’ll have it running smoothly and efficiently when you need it most.
Not only will your AC system be operating at optimum level, it will also last much longer and you’ll avoid the cost of replacement for a long time to come. A regular air conditioner service will look after one of your most important investments and give it the care it deserves.
You will need air conditioning specialists when you want your air conditioner serviced, that’s when to contact the experts at Metropolitan Air Conditioning.
Please note: This information is provided for advice purposes only. Regulations differ from state to state, so please consult your local authorities or an industry professional before proceeding with any work. See our Terms & Conditions here.