What’s Involved in an Aircon Service?
The primary reason for a regular aircon service – aside from extending its lifespan – is to keep it operating at its optimal level. There are several factors involved in the proper maintenance of your system, but the main thing is an annual aircon service.
After all, the last thing you want is for your air conditioner to consume excessive power while providing minimal relief. Although you may be aware that cleaning or replacing air filters is necessary to keep it running smoothly, there is much more to an aircon service than that.
The upside is that – with regular maintenance – your air conditioner should function for a considerable period, possibly even 15 years or more. Long-term comfort is one of the main reasons to have a seasonal aircon service.
Let’s explore that and all the other reasons why seasonal servicing is crucial. We’ll also look at what to anticipate when scheduling a visit from an air conditioning specialist.
Do I Actually Need an Aircon Service?
Your air conditioning system may well be in excellent condition. However, it could have underlying problems caused by extensive use in a busy household over a long period of time. These issues might appear minor at first, but they can eventually strain your AC unit significantly.
Annual maintenance is the most effective tip for ensuring your air conditioner runs smoothly for an extended period. While there are other useful tips to consider, such as adjusting the thermostat, cleaning or replacing filters and covering your windows, none are as crucial as a regular aircon service.
When it’s incredibly hot outside, raising the thermostat’s temperature a few degrees can help prevent the AC from overworking. Dirty filters can put a string on the system, so cleaning or replacing them is vital. Cleaning the coils is also necessary but be sure to read the user manual for instructions and turn off the system before doing so. Better still, have it done by a HVAC (heating, cooling and air conditioning) specialist.
Closing blinds and curtains to keep warmth out during the summer and in during the winter can also help your AC system work more efficiently.
In the case of gas heating systems, a colourless and odourless gas called carbon monoxide could be leaking. This can cause poor health and, in severe cases, can even be fatal. Therefore, if you use gas for heating, cooking and hot water, your system should be checked regularly.
Why Do AC Problems Happen?
Air conditioning systems experience wear and tear caused by a variety of factors. Like many appliances, it’s easy to take your air conditioner for granted. Some people expect it to function optimally without proper care or a regularly scheduled aircon service.
However, neglecting your air conditioner can lead to a range of issues. These can include decreased performance, increased energy bills and even complete breakdowns. Therefore, it’s important to be aware of the factors that impact the frequency of maintenance required for your HVAC system.
Here are some of the factors that will have an impact on how often you schedule an aircon service:
- Make and model – This can be important to maintenance requirements. Manufacturers often provide specific maintenance recommendations for their products, which can vary between brands and models. It’s important to check the manufacturer’s guidelines to ensure proper care is given to your AC system.
- Heat – The level of cooling required is also a crucial factor that can impact maintenance needs. If you need to maintain an interior temperature much lower than the outside temperature, it will put a significant strain on your air conditioning system. Running your system at maximum capacity for extended periods will require more regular aircon servicing.
- Age of your system – An older system may require more frequent servicing, typically every six months, to keep it running at optimal level. A regular aircon service can take your system well beyond the 10-year mark.
- Size of your household – The more people living in your house, the more often the AC system will be used. This will have an impact on maintenance frequency. An aircon service every six months may be necessary in some cases.
- Indoor environment – This can play a significant role in the maintenance needs of your AC system. A dusty interior can lead to dust and dirt getting into the system, causing damage and putting additional strain on the system. In such cases, the system will need frequent cleaning to maintain optimal performance.
- Doors and windows – Leaving windows and doors open while using your air conditioner will put extra stress on the system, so be sure to create the ideal environment running your air conditioner. The exception is evaporative cooling, which operates better with open windows and doors providing extra ventilation.
Understanding the various factors that impact maintenance needs can help you develop a servicing schedule that keeps your AC system in top condition.
Time for an Aircon Service
When you schedule an appointment with a heating and cooling specialist for an aircon service, you can expect a comprehensive examination. The technician will tailor their approach based on factors such as the type of system you’re using, the number of people in your household, the size of your rooms, your system’s age and its power source.
The following list provides a general overview of what you can anticipate the HVAC specialist exploring:
- Refrigerant gas levels
- Internal components
- Accumulation of debris
- Electrical connections
- Carbon monoxide and gas leak testing (for gas-powered heaters)
- Thorough cleaning (or replacement) of filters, fans, coils and other parts
- Negative pressure testing
- Chemical cleaning and flushing
- Duct cleaning (for ducted systems)
The primary objective of the technician during an aircon service is to identify and resolve minor issues before they develop into more significant problems. If you are experiencing particular difficulties with your heating and cooling system, it is vital to inform the technician before the service.
Although many people may try to cut costs by avoiding a regularly scheduled aircon service, investing in maintenance can ultimately save you money in the long run. By taking care of your heating and cooling system, you can ensure it operates smoothly and efficiently when you need it most.
In addition to optimising your AC system’s performance, routine maintenance can also prolong its lifespan and help you avoid costly replacements for years to come. A regular aircon service will provide your valuable investment with the attention and care it requires.
Therefore, it is highly recommended to prioritise the maintenance of your air conditioning system. It will not only benefit you in terms of cost savings, but will also provide you with uninterrupted comfort.
Please note: This information is provided for advice purposes only. Regulations differ from state to state, so please consult your local authorities or an industry professional before proceeding with any work. See our Terms & Conditions here.