How to become an HVAC technician in Melbourne

How to become an HVAC technician in Melbourne
23 Sep, 2020

So you want to become a HVAC technician in Melbourne? And why wouldn’t you? Melbourne is a fantastic place to live and work. Metropolitan is here to tell you everything you need to know about becoming an air conditioning technician in Melbourne.

Where do I start?

Finishing high school is highly regarded and it looks good on your CV, but it’s not essential. There are also a number of courses you can take during school to help your cause as well. Courses like computer science, physics, maths and other trade-related subjects can help.

Why would you want to become an air conditioning technician? Well, there are many benefits to becoming an air con technician in Melbourne. These great incentives include:

  • No day ever being the same
  • Financial gain
  • The freedom to be self-employed
  • The ability to further educate yourself to increase your wage and work in different areas

If you have already finished school, you’ll need to find an apprenticeship. Having some accreditations to your name will help your cause, but it’s generally about who you know. Once you have secured an apprenticeship you will have to complete a Certificate III in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration alongside your practical work. There are also a number of facilities in Melbourne that can help you find an apprenticeship or point you in the right direction.

A Refrigerant Handling Licence (RHL) must be held by any person who carries out work in relation to refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment in Australia. These can be acquired on the refrigeration council website.

If you are required to carry out work that involves electronics, you will need additional licensing. In Melbourne, all electrical work regulated under the Electrical Safety Act associated with the installation of air-conditioning systems must comply with the requirements in that Act, including licensing requirements. That means that you will need a Restricted Electrical Worker’s Licence from Energy Safe Victoria. The course is suitable for plumbers working with refrigeration and air-conditioning, and relevant tradespersons working with composite equipment. It provides the knowledge and skills necessary to carry out low voltage electrical installation work relating to equipment that is connected to a fixed electrical installation associated with a primary trade or occupation.

You will also need to obtain a White Card. Holding a valid White Card is required to step foot on any building site in the country.

How will I get an air conditioning job in Melbourne?

If you have the right qualifications, it should be relatively simple because the number of people working as an air conditioning technician in Melbourne is constantly on the rise.  Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from workers moving on.

What’s the pay? Great question! Technician’s with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of AU$25.70 based. A mid-career air conditioning technician with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $31.21. A technician with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $38.58. In their late-career (20 years and higher), HVAC experts earn an average total compensation of AU$34.

Once you have experience in the industry, you can think about joining our air conditioning Melbourne team.

Thinking about migrating to Melbourne?

Melbourne is a great place to work and live. So why wouldn’t you want to join the growing number of ex-pats who call Melbourne their home? However, before you jump on a plane, there are a few things to consider.

To work in Australia as an air conditioning technician, you need to have the relevant qualifications. As you may know, our air conditioning systems here can be vastly different from those around the world. You can complete a skills assessment through Trades Recognition Australia.

**Please note: the information contained in this article is general in nature and does not constitute professional advice.